Tuesday 13 March 2012

Power in Electrical Ciruits

Power is the rate at which an electrical circuit transfers electrical energy to another form - i.e. if we had a bulb it would be the rate at which electrical energy is transferred to heat and light energy.  It is dependent on the voltage and current flowing in the circuit.

Power is measured in watts.

Joule's law states that

P = IV 

where P = Power (W) I = Current (A) and V = Voltage (V)

We may not know current in our circuit, but instead we might know the resistance.  So we can combine this law, and Ohm's law to make different permutations of the same formula:

P = IV,  and V = IR  so P = I x I x R   so we can use the formula P = I2R

P = IV and I = V/R so P = V/R x V   so we can use the formula P = V2/R

Lets consider these circuits:


No comments:

Post a Comment